Lancaster, Pa. – (February 13, 2018) Nissin Foods topped the list of over 5,200 Lancaster County property owners that successfully appealed their assessed values. The Nissin plant on Hempland Road in East Hempfield Township originally had an assessed value of $15,686,900 after the county-wide reassessment and due to a successful appeal, the new assessed value is $9,390,000 – a reduction of $6,290,900. Representing Nissin in this appeal was Paul Morcom of McNees Wallace & Nurick LLC.
Paul has more than fifteen years of experience in state and local tax litigation. Although Paul has significant experience in all state and local taxes such as sales/use, corporate net income, franchise, PURTA, gross receipts, gross premiums, realty transfer and personal income, most of his practice focuses on real estate tax. Paul has successfully represented clients in real estate tax matters in 28 of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
Paul’s other recent real estate tax successes are as follows:
● negotiated a $5,837,000 reduction in assessed value for a retail store in Allegheny County in December 2017, saving company $233,000 of real estate taxes per year;
● received exempt status for non-profit in Cumberland and Lancaster Counties in November 2017, saving company $2,500,000 of real estate taxes per year;
● negotiated an $84,609,800 reduction in assessed value for an industrial property in Blair County in March 2017, saving the company $1,100,000 of real estate taxes per year;
● negotiated an $85,862,500 reduction in assessed value for a retail store in downtown Philadelphia in August 2016 saving the company $1,150,000 of real estate taxes per year; and
● negotiated exempt status for two properties owned by a nursing home in Montgomery County in December 2016, resulting in $981,000 of refunds for real estate taxes paid in years deemed exempt and $337,400 of tax savings per year going forward.
Paul also coauthors the leading assessment treatise in Pennsylvania – Assessment Law & Procedure in Pennsylvania, which is published by The Pennsylvania Bar Institute every two years. Be on the lookout for the 16th Edition, which will be out in the Spring of 2018.
McNees is a full-service law firm based in central Pennsylvania with more than 130 attorneys representing corporations, associations, institutions and individuals. The firm serves clients worldwide from offices in Harrisburg, Lancaster, State College and Scranton, PA; Columbus, OH; Frederick, MD; and Washington, D.C. McNees is also a member of the ALFA International Global Legal Network.
www.mcneeslaw.com | @McNeeslaw | LinkedIn